I am a research engineer and musician working at the intersection of digital media, new musical experience, and live performance.
I’m a hands-on person who likes to build things to help me think, and repurpose everyday objects for digital interaction. I specialize in audio software but I love taking a breeze from the headphones to enjoy the smell of solder, burning acrylic on a laser cutter, or learning about animal communication. My most challenging job so far was being a steward on the Eiffel Tower elevators.
- PhD. in Statistical modelling of temporal sequences. Real time sound analysis and synthesis, Model selection, Sound morphology. More on my research page at Ircam.
- Max/MSP, Matlab, C/C++, Java.
Broader skills (at least one achieved project) :
- Mobile development, Realtime graphics, Motion capture, Hardware for interaction, Backend and frontend web.
Talks and publications :
- The opera of Prehistoric Creatures. With Marguerite Humeau. CCRMA colloquium, Stanford University, Jan. 2013.
- Bloit J., Rasamimanana,N. and Bevilacqua,F. Modeling and segmentation of audio descriptor profiles with Segmental Models. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2009.
- Bloit J., Rodet,X. Short-time Viterbi for online HMM decoding : evaluation on a real-time phone recognition task. ICASSP 2008.
Art collaborations & installations :
- Proposal for Resuscitating Prehistoric Creatures. An installation by Marguerite Humeau,
Collective exhibition Politique Fiction, Cité du Design, France.
- Urban Musical Game, Ircam, Paris 2011.
- Real time recognition of extended-technique trombone sounds. For performer Denis Beuret.
- Co-founder of the art-science nonprofit organization Phonotonic.
Discography as a drummer :
Email me for any work or friendly enquiries :
julien . bloit @ gmail . com
Or use the form below :